The following norms have been established over time by staff and students in CCS learning circles…
In this community we make a commitment to treat one another with care and respect.
We work intentionally, attempting to be:
a community of learning,
- Taking responsibility for our own learning
- Making a commitment to the learning of other members of the circle.
- Participating with care in the learning journeys of other members of the community.
- Sharing our questions, concerns, insights and opinions as openly and honestly as possible, acknowledging that respectful challenge can lead to learning and growth.
- Receiving from others in a spirit of openness and gratitude, acknowledging that this is not always easy.
- Coming to sessions with the readings for those sessions having been done.
- Being responsible for the work of all sessions and being accountable to staff for all work or sessions missed.
a safe community,
- Ensuring that any gatherings of the community and any events that are open to all members of the community are alcohol free.
- Limiting the use of scented products (personal care products, candles, etc.) recognizing that they can be harmful to others and be willing to identify specifically which products are irritants.
- Providing a nut free environment.
a compassionate community,
- Acknowledging and respecting the diversity of experience, styles, and needs in the group.
- Regarding all personal information shared as confidential and to be held in trust within this group.
- Taking responsibility for meeting our personal needs, taking into consideration our accountability to the community and the importance of supporting one another
- Taking shared responsibility for expressing special needs and for responding sensitively and appropriately
- Agreeing to challenge and being open to challenge concerning homophobia and heterosexism.
a considerate and consultative community,
- Being conscious and careful of the language we use, recognizing the potential impact it may have.
- Starting and ending all sessions on time.
- Including regular times of evaluation.
- Providing intentional “check-out” times.
We are called to live with respect in Creation.
- During learning circles, as individuals and as a community, we will practice making environmentally responsible choices.
We are committed to using language that is inclusive, respectful and expansive, and ensures that all are included and none are excluded.